Author Topic: New Receiver  (Read 1971 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
New Receiver
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
So I finally swapped out my old Yamaha receiver for a Denon S730H. I needed something a little bit more modern to do the ARC and my old one was just before all that. I saw Amazon had them for like 20% off so I decided to get one and joked with my wife that they'll probably have a new version out as soon as I buy it. And sure enough it looks like they just released the 740. I compared the two and it doesn't really look like I need any of the new features so I guess I timed it right.

I just started setting it up this morning so I'll connect everything this weekend and run the calibration and see how it turns out, but so far I think it'll make everything work better. I need to run through some audio tests and see how the sound is but I'm sure it'll be sufficient for the price.

I looked at a couple other ones but with this one being so cheap it was worth giving it a shot first.

I just got a Roku Ultra too so we're going to be cord cutters now too with YouTube TV and some other streaming services.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: New Receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:26 AM »
Haven't heard of a Denon product in years.  Tell me what you think after break in.

The Roku will be nice to have.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
So far I'm liking it. I did the room correction but ended up turning it off since I think it overhyped the EQ so I think I might try and tweak that on my own with other tools. Overall I think the sound is pretty good for $350. It's nice that it has a selectable hdmi pass through so you can turn off the receiver but still use the Roku. One of my test tracks seems to have just a touch of distortion on it that I didn't notice on my old Yamaha but all of the other tracks sound just fine. It does seem like it might be just a touch brighter than the Yamaha too but it's tough to tell and I don't feel like setting them both up and doing an A/B sort of thing.
The remote is nice, but it's huge for what I think it needs to be. It's a bit fiddly though for the menus but once you figure out where everything is it's not so bad.

The Roku has been really nice with YouTube TV and I'm noticing much more content streaming in 1080 now.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 06:09:37 AM »
The Denon products of old were never bright and tended to be a tad soft if anything.  Made them more listenable.  However that was many moons ago and it is literally a new company.  Give it time to break in, you won't know for a couple hundred hours.