Author Topic: Looking to purchase an acoustic guitar  (Read 3583 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Looking to purchase an acoustic guitar
« on: October 01, 2005, 03:12:34 PM »
Hi,

I have just started to learn how to play the guitar (for about a month), I have been taking private lessons, and am enjoying it quite a bit.  I currently play on a classic guitar, but was looking to get an acoustic in the near future.

I dont really know what to look for in a guitar, but would like to purchase an intermediate level guitar (in terms of price).  A store close by sells Cort guitars, which are in the mid $200s to mid $500 range.  

What are some good guitar brands, and are there any respectable sites on which I can read reviews on guitars?

Thanks

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
I'm not an expert on guitar brands, but I am currently playing a Rogue Cutaway Acoustic-Electric, and I'm quite pleased with it. http://musiciansfriend.com has some good reviews on it, and it's extremely inexpensive. It may be regarded as a beginner guitar, but I wouldn't consider myself a beginner by any means, so hey, may as well check it out.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 03:51:16 PM »
I've got a good Fender, steel strings, can't play it to save my life. I keep meaning to find out about lessons at my college (apparently there's a guy who offers private lessons) but haven't had the time.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 07:36:35 PM »
I have a cort.  They're decent stuff.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 02:01:53 AM »
Well, technically you already have an "acoustic" guitar, but I've been around enough to know you're looking for a steel string acoustic. :D
There are a few things to consider, what style of music are you going to play mostly, and how are you going to use the guitar; ie: play in front of people, strumming around a campfire, leading church groups, or playing on your couch by yourself and do you need electronics?
Being the guitar slob I am, I always say buy the best guitar you can afford (then spend just a little bit more). It's a lesson you usually have to learn yourself once but if you buy a cheap guitar and continuing playing you will quickly outgrow the guitar and have to spend all that money again plus more to get a better guitar.
So what makes a good guitar? Whatever sounds good to you. That's the bottom line. The catch is that when you're just starting out you likely can't hear a real difference between a guitar that costs $300 and one that costs $3000 (honestly it may not be there but we'll assume). That's where having someone who has played before help you comes in very handy. And make sure you try more than one of a guitar. Guitars are all unique, they will all sound different (even the same model), some are gems other are not. I could go on and on about purchasing guitars but I'm going to head to bed.
My recommended "budget" guitars would be Seagull S series, Martin 15 series, Larrivee 03 series, and the Breedlove Atlas series.
Try browsing these boards:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php

Don't be afraid to go for a used guitar, you can get a great deal and the guitar will probably sound better since it has been broken in.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 05:08:17 PM »
I dont think I will ever be performing, Ill be playing for myself, and maybe for friends once in a while, but thats about it.  Ill probably be playing rock.

After look at some of those guitars you suggested, and one of the forums, I realized you can get a pretty decent sounding guitar for around $300, or you can buy one for a few thousand.

I am pretty interested in playing the guitar now, and would probably like to buy a decent guitar, so that I will enjoy playing it for a while.  If I spend lets say $1000 on a guitar, from a respected company, and I guaranteed to get a pretty good guitar, or does it come down to having someone who knows how to play a guitar help me pick one out (because I dont know of anyone who could help at this point)

Hopefully that was clear.

Thanks!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 07:22:42 PM »
$1000 opens up a lot of options and at that price (or even a little less) you can get a guitar that you last you the rest of your life and you'll be happy with (especially a gently used one). I'd definitely recommend bringing someone you know to help pick out a guitar. You'll be able to play a lot of guitars up to $1000 and it's always good to get a second opinion. I like to play a guitar and then have my dad take a look and then go back together and play other guitars (cheaper and more expensive) to make sure the guitar still fits the bill. I don't really like to hunt for one guitar or another, I like to just keep dropping in and wait for one that I fall in love with. When I bought my first Breedlove it was like love at first site, I saw it hanging on the wall and knew I had to play it. But I played probably a dozen guitars that day and kept coming back to the Breedlove. It wasn't the loudest guitar or the fanciest but I really liked it. It was really expensive and I talked a lot about it with my dad since I was also pondering another guitar that was cheaper. In the end I decided to go for it and I don't regret the purchase at all. I love to play it. The only problem is it shames some of my other guitars.
When looking for a guitar, pay attention to the strings. If they're dull and dirty looking, the guitar will sound thumpier. New strings can make a guitar sound completely different. So if you like a guitar but it has old strings, ask the sales guys if they'll restring it for you.
Just spending more money on a guitar doesn't mean you'll actually get a better guitar (usually it does). I've played some Larrivee's for around $800 that sounded better than some Taylor's or even custom one's upwards toward 3K. $800-$1200 is where I think you can find a good quality guitar. Above that you'll most get eye candy until you get to ~$2500. Then all bets are off and you really have to know what you're looking for.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 07:52:29 PM »
Thanks a lot tgm, that certainly cleread up a few issues.  I plan on going out and purcahsing one in the near future (I hope), Ill let you know how my hunt goes!

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 06:19:36 PM »
I purchased my first guitar today :D

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productm6gloss.htm

I tested out a few guitars in the S series, and a few in the M series, and got to play 2 of the M6s they had in stock, and finally decided on one.  It was $459 Canadian.

It sounds so much better than the old classical guitar I had.  Im happy with my purchase, I will be spenidng a lot of time with it :)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 03:06:23 AM »
I think you'll really enjoy the Seagull. I know a lot of good players that have them as their "beater" guitar and they do the job very well. So even when you get really good you likely won't be getting rid of the guitar, it will become part of the collection. Congrats and happy picking.