Author Topic: Tables in .DocX issue  (Read 3784 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Tables in .DocX issue
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »
I'm using the latest Open Office. I'm opening the docx i attached from my teacher, and his tables are extending off the right side where i can't see them.

I don't use tables, anyone have any idea how to fix this so i can do my work? I would email him but he doesn't allow it. He's a fag who meets by appointment only and has a mandatory thing where you have to schedule 7 days in advance. It's due Monday.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Tables in .DocX issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
Easiest way was to just set the page width to 50" so I could see the whole thing and then adjust the column widths.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
or, now that you're a student, you can buy MS Office for like $20 (that's what I paid for it when I was in school) and not have to deal with that issue.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:23 AM »
Fuck MS Office.  The teach should be sending it in a portable document format.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »

THANK YOU.

MS Office blows for one, Windows blows for two and i don't use it, and three mikes 100% correct. The first day of class you made a long speech about how he uses the formats he wants and if you don't like it buy MS Office. Someone with a Mac asked how she would open Microsoft formats with her Mac and he told her to, and i quote, "buy a real computer". Obviously i spoke up and said there are lots of programs that will solve her issue, and OpenOffice is a free one available for download.

He went off on me. Apparently if it's free on the internet it's pirating, no matter what, and "the only people who use crap software like open office are the same idiots that use operating systems like Linux, which are simply a rip off of windows and therefore far inferior."

I really really hate this class.

Thanks for the tip Mike.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

THANK YOU.

MS Office blows for one, Windows blows for two and i don't use it, and three mikes 100% correct. The first day of class you made a long speech about how he uses the formats he wants and if you don't like it buy MS Office. Someone with a Mac asked how she would open Microsoft formats with her Mac and he told her to, and i quote, "buy a real computer". Obviously i spoke up and said there are lots of programs that will solve her issue, and OpenOffice is a free one available for download.

He went off on me. Apparently if it's free on the internet it's pirating, no matter what, and "the only people who use crap software like open office are the same idiots that use operating systems like Linux, which are simply a rip off of windows and therefore far inferior."

I really really hate this class.

Thanks for the tip Mike.

Got his email?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
Yea i do, but its set up as an empty box. It just replies with an auto message telling you there is no mailbox at the address and you must contact his aid and schedule an appointment 7 days in advance.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:36 AM »
I can already see the next topic - about APA style.

B/c MS Work will automagically format your paper in APA style :D
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:17 AM »
Yea he's strict APA on his papers.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
I've never had that much success getting microsoft to default my APA formatting for me.  I used to be so damn good at it....then I started using EndNote....I'm forgetting my APA so fast...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Fuck APA :P

Seriously, I've been able to do the various formats in OO just fine.  Don't ask me how as I no longer remember.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
I can't do anything other than APA.  I think I did MLA in high school, but once I was in college most my reference papers were psyc papers and the others were politics or some such that also used APA....

I don't know how people switch formats back and forth...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
I don't even KNOW APA, it's on my list...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
I mostly did MLA at my JC.  When I got to uni for the one writing class the prof just said to pick a style (either a set one or your own) and be consistent in the paper.  Which makes sense for a engineer writing class.  Pretty much was the same in the few other papers I had to write.  The format was less important than the ideas.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Think APA formatting became "native" to work in Office 2007.  Before then, I had to buy a little program that will create a template in Word and would automatically set up my papers in APA.

Forgot the name of the program.  Do remember that it cost me a whopping $14.99 and it was worth every penny!

That and the APA manual ware the 2 things that got me through my graduate program.  I still have the manual too,it's part of my library - well worth the $30 it cost me.