Author Topic: Internet Connection Help  (Read 3891 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Internet Connection Help
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:55:56 PM »
I need some help...

My brother got a new computer recently, and I formatted it to remove the spyware.  He has cable internet, and I am having problems getting it working.  The connection is fine, since the internet still works on the old computer.

The format went good, Ive actually done it twice thinking it wasnt done properly the first time.  He is running Windows XP Media Centre.

The network card is built into the mobo, and I have already updated the drivers, and Windows says it is working properly.

When I execute ipconfig the Connection-specific DNS Suffix shows up, but the IP Address and Subnet Mask are 0.0.0.0, and nothing is listed for the Default Gateway.  I tried to release the ip, I get an error, I try to renew it and I get the following.  "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Network.  The RPC Server is unavailable."

Ive tried to create a new Network Connection, since one doesnt exist, but I cant create one since it says one already exists!!!! (BUT IT DOESNT!!!!!!)

I tried to use a non-onboard NIC, but it didnt seem to recognize it, and said the onboard one was enabled even though I disabled it under BIOS.

Anything I can look at, to try and get this internet connection working?  I dont know what else to try.

Thanks

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Internet Connection Help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:48 AM »
I am not sure about XP MC....i assume since the old pc is using the internet you are using a router? Have you rebooted the router? If nothing has changed except the format it sounds to me like it could be the wrong drivers.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:43:40 AM »
Is the old computer setup to use DHCP or is the IP static on that PC?  And does your router have DHCP capability?  And is the router yours or the cable company's? 

I'd suggest copying the IP info from the other computer and just adjusting the IP by one for yours... then try to do a ping to make sure that is even working.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:48:39 AM »
can you ping 127.0.0.1? You may not have the TCP/IP service installed (yes, its actaully possible to do this)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
>>Is the old computer setup to use DHCP or is the IP static on that PC?

I dont know...

>>And does your router have DHCP capability?

No idea

>>And is the router yours or the cable company's?

Its his, but I didnt even hook up a router yet, I just wanted to get a net connection first.

>>can you ping 127.0.0.1

I didnt even try that...

Ill try out some of the suggestions, and get back to you guys. Thanks

I guess I never explained that Im not using both computers at the same time, although I think I will set it up that way.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:54:50 PM »
Keep in mind that it may involve the ISP to get it to work with your computer.  Some places are goofy like that.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 11:40:05 PM »
Update:

Since there isnt much room to have both computers connected, I only have one connected at a time, but Ill try to hook up both this weekend.

I thought the built in ethernet card wasnt working, so I put in an external one, and got the drivers installed, but I got the same problem as before, cant createa  new Internet Connection.

I hooked up the router.  I can ping 127.0.0.1, but I cant ping 192.168.1.1.  I reset the router, modem, turned off the computer etc, just couldnt ping it, or get to it through the browser.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 11:41:35 AM »
Are you using the same cable when you test both comps? Could be a broken piece of cat5 your using.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »
Yes I have been using the same cables.  This is driving me insane!

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 04:38:46 PM »
Thats pretty strange man.....hmm
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 11:49:03 PM »
Another Update.

I copied all the info from the net connection info from the other computer.

When viewing Internet Connections, if I tried to refresh them, I would get an error saying something about a service not running.  I checked the services, and saw one for Network Connections (dont recall the exact name) and started it.  I refreshed the Internet Connections, and one showed up!!!!! WTF!

I then inputted all the info into that LAN connection, since it cant obtain the info automatically for some reason... and the Internet worked...

I tried to attach the router, that didnt work, the only way it worked, was if I did it as I explained above.

I dont know what is going it!  To view the connections, I have to start that service evertyime I boot up!

Suggestions? :|

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 01:22:43 AM »
ok go to the service screen, and change it from manual to run on startup. And reboot.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »
Yeah... I was gonna say the same.

Type "services.msc" into the Run command... go to the properties of the service and change from "Manual" to Automatic.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 07:31:48 PM »
Okay, Ill give that a shot, although on my computer, it is set at Manual, but is always started when I boot up.. Ill keep you informed.