Author Topic: Video Lan (VLC Media Player)  (Read 3021 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Video Lan (VLC Media Player)
« on: June 16, 2005, 09:19:12 PM »
I use Video Lan (VLC Media Player) to play my video files and have two questions.

1.  I made VLC the defualt media player for .avi files, but the icon for .avi files is still the windows media player icon, any way to change that?

2.  I havent found a setting to turn off the screen saver when I watch something, so I always have to turn it off/on.  Ive searched google and looked at some options, but havent found any settings to turn it off.

Thanks

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:55:53 PM »
1. Open Explorer.  Select Tools > Folder Options > File Types: Select AVI then click "Change" - Change Icon (you'll need to find the dll that VLC gets its icon from).
2.  Don't think there is one - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253789

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 10:57:48 PM »
Regarding #1, I click change, and then it brings me the list of programs you can open the file with, just as if you did a right click > Open with (select a program from a list).....

Regarding #2, Im pretty sure Windows Media player somehow turns off the screen saver, just couldnt find the option in VLC

Thanks

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 08:57:41 AM »
>>Regarding #1, I click change, and then it brings me the list of programs you can open the file with, just as if you did a right click > Open with (select a program from a list).....<<

Sorry man, was a real quick post - click "Advanced > Change Icon" - the option to change the icon should appear there :).

>>Regarding #2, Im pretty sure Windows Media player somehow turns off the screen saver, just couldnt find the option in VLC<<

Poss, but WMP is more or less part of Windows - perhaps there's a regkey setting you need to hack for VLC?

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 11:49:06 AM »
This is so funny, I found the Advanced button, and it exists for different file types, but for avi, it is changed to Restore (which will restore it to its default - using Windows Media Player), it wont allow you to change the icon.

Thanks for the help.