Author Topic: AVG WTF!!  (Read 4245 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
AVG WTF!!
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:05:12 PM »
I new version of AVG is available 8.0. I installed it with no problems on my secondary computer.. but am having real issues on my primary computer.

It gets to a point in the install and just freezes, freezes the entire computer.. I have to hard reset it.

I have tried 2 different exes.. freezes
I have tried to uninstall and repair.. freezes

It appears as if it installs but it wont update, it wont activate the shield.

I tried to revert to AVG7.5, froze during the install.. and now it wont update 7.5 either!!

Suggestions?

Add/Remove programs won't remove it either!

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: AVG WTF!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
Did you shutdown avg before you did this? I upgraded at least 15 computers in the past two weks alone with no issues. and i use 8.0 at the house on three computers as well.

Try a minimal startup, and try uninstalling it all.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »
I moved to ClamWin a while ago for my work laptop. Can't really say how good it is compared to AVG, but it seems much lighter. Doesn't do the scheduling (without a 3rd party hook) but it works well enough I think. I still use AVG on my studio desktop but I think I'll switch that over now too (it's still running the old version). I tried installing the new AVG but I didn't like it that it had a problem when I disabled the link scanner. I couldn't stand the stupid exclamation on the tray icon.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
Um, you can get rid of the !
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
I shut it down this time and it froze again..

What do you mean my minimal start up? Run msconfig and take all the startup entries out?

Would safe mode do anything?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:00:07 AM »
u can ty safe mode, but yes thats what i mean (msconfig). My theory is some service of AVG's is the hold up. By loading minimal services u avoid starting any of them and it may allow you past the freeze

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »
Took everything out of startup, even uninstalled lavasoft (ad-aware).. still freezes!

I am getting really annoyed!

Edit: When trying to uninstall/install it mentions that AVG Antispyware is installed and will be uninstalled during the isntallation of AVG 8.0. AVG antispyware is no longer installed.. but it seems to think it is.

Edit2: It freezes on: "file_AVG7_avg7rsxp.sys stopping service"
AVG isnt running while I am installing, I dont know how to stop the service.. its not undert the list of services.

Edit3: Took Services out of startup too, now it froze on "file updatecomps.cfg: creating file.." I let it sit for a good 15 minutes and it wouldnt get passed that message.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:15:03 PM by Canuck »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
Now thats just plain weird, i have never had problems with avg on any system. Safe mode? Sys rest?

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 07:00:56 PM »
On a moderately related note...when was the last time anyones anti-virus actually caught something?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »
My anti-virus caught something.

Of course, it was three weeks after I got the freaking virus, but at least it made it easier for me to get rid of it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:02:52 PM »
On a moderately related note...when was the last time anyones anti-virus actually caught something?
Caught something on my laptop probably 2 months ago... then again, my wife was using it, not me.  I've never caught anything on my desktop.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »
A new version was finally put out and I was able to updgrade AVG with no problems.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »
Glad to hear it =] I installed AVG more times then i could count (without effort of course) since the last post and still no issues

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
As an aside, avg seems less popular with webmasters: AVG scanner blasts internet with fake traffic
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »
I agree with AVG, its kind of needed imo.