Author Topic: Managing errors  (Read 1885 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Managing errors
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:11 AM »
So the way I used to do things was that I had my own CMS that had built in error handling that emailed me every time I had an error, mainly for SQL stuff.  But I've been using PHPActiveRecord, and yes, I could build in some of the same functionality but I'm finding that the emails were both annoying and often weren't indicating major errors.

But the problem is that I'm managing many sites at this point and I don't want to go around to each checking error logs all the time, so what to do?  Have each site email me any error logs that have changed once a week?

What do you guys do?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Managing errors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »
no help from me on this one as I'm not really managing many sites right now and we don't have a good system at work either.  The half-ass way things were done in the past means we just wait for the client to complain that something doesn't work and then I go find the problem and fix it.

I admit that I do the e-mail myself trick quite a bit.  I built a calendar app once that the client said was loading really slow so I set it to e-mail me user info if the execution time exceeds 1 second.  About 1 in 30 views triggers the e-mail and I get 2 or 3 a day.  At this point, I should probably just turn off the e-mails :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
I think most people probably wait for a complaint.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
We use Splunk. We send all of our logs there and then setup emails from there.
This signature intentionally left blank.