Author Topic: Kick ass soup base  (Read 2402 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Kick ass soup base
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
A few weeks ago I made a cioppino and I noticed that the base was really delicious.  Tonight I made the base again (with some slight mods) and then added some carrots and chopped beef.  It was heaven.

The cioppino recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cioppino-106263

What  I made tonight:
About 2 tablespoons crushed garlic.  I like garlic, adjust to your tastes
2 medium onions finely chopped in the food processor
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
~1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 olive oil
1 green bell pepper, diced to 1/4" - 1/3" pieces
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
2 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes with juice.  Go ahead and get the pre-chopped ones, otherwise chop them up a bit
1 cup chicken broth.  I used the 1 tsp "Better Than Bullion" + 1 cup water

In pot add the olive oil, garlic, onion, bay leaves, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Cook until onions are soft.  Add bell pepper and tomato paste.  Stir and cook a minute or two.  Add wine and reduce by half (5 to 6 minutes).  Add tomatoes (+ juice) and broth.  If it is too thick add a cup of water.  Simmer 30 minutes.  Salt + pepper to taste.

While it was simmering I cut a carrot into thin slices and the beef into 1/4" segments.  When the base was about 5 minutes out I fried the carrots in coconut oil, stirring regularly, until softer (I like a bit of firmness).  Then I added the beef and browned it.  Then added it to the base and cooked another 2 minutes.  Serve and enjoy.