Author Topic: turkey meat sauce  (Read 4171 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
turkey meat sauce
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
Turkey meat sauce

Made this last week, and made it again today (for tomorrow [and the next day]).
Pretty healthy; high in protein, low in carbs and fat.

-2.5 lbs lean (93/7) turkey ground meat
-brick of cream cheese
-two standard size jars of your favorite spaghetti-like sauce. I used prego traditional
-spices, to taste

Brown the meat on a pan with a tsp of oil. As you’re browning, season to taste. I used some salt, pepper, garlic, and this herb mixture I have, as well as paprika and chilli powder. Once the meat is nice and browned (to the point that you can eat it) pour in the tomato sauce. Stir. Stuff a standard size brick of cream cheese into one of the jars and microwave until cheese is really soft (about 2 mins in my microwave) add a little water (3-4 tbsp) and stir until there is no more solid cheese left. Pour it into the meat and tomato sauce. Stir and heat for a few more minutes. Done
Server with your favorite pasta.

Awesome.

The reason I added cream cheese was because my wife does not like the acidity of most store bought tomato sauces…this works great. And is pretty healthy too. I didn’t eat too much, but this portion fed my family for two dinners and we had left overs still. Kids loved it. Son had seconds AND thirds.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: turkey meat sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
Unless you used fat free cream cheese or low sugar sauce this probably isn't very low carb or fat

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
I was really surprised by carb contents in the sauce: 65g per jar with 15 of that fiber. Considering, that is still not a lot. I think the cream cheese was regular.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:36 PM »
sounds pretty tastey
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:11 PM »
Unless you used fat free cream cheese or low sugar sauce this probably isn't very low carb or fat

also, there is enough for about 6 adult meals here. so you're probably at around 30 carbs per meal with some fiber and lots of protein. I think that is pretty good.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:05:33 AM »
It depends on what you're adding it to. For pasta, definitely not

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »
well no shit...

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »
I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow I think....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »
So today I decided to just take the cream cheese part of this and added it to some leftover sauce and meatballs I had. There are no more sauce and meatball leftovers now.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »
cream cheese makes everything better. I tried to ferment some to mike wine once, it was odd but still tasted good.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »
So today I decided to just take the cream cheese part of this and added it to some leftover sauce and meatballs I had. There are no more sauce and meatball leftovers now.

:D

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
Just made this.  Thanks Jake!  Was very tasty!!!  Added sauteed mushrooms to the sauce - cause I like mushrooms....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own