Author Topic: Unreal Tournament 2007 Screenshots  (Read 6024 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions

obsidian

• Jackass I
    • http://garth.thewaytech.com
Unreal Tournament 2007 Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:57:23 AM »
awesome... and i thought 2004 was incredible

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 10:59:51 AM »
The best thing about it is that they're using the same technology that the Serious Sam guys are using for their next release where you only draw what is visible so if something is in front of something else, you don't draw the thing in the background (or at least not the part that isn't visible).  

I think that makes sense... anyways, my point was that current systems should be able to run it just fine.

obsidian

• Jackass I
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 11:53:10 AM »
makes sense... my question is, when you're in a huge room where you can see everything anyway, how much render time will really be cut? i know, in theory, with this type of system, your render time is automatically cut in half because you can never see both sides of an object at the same time, so hypothetically current games could have twice the polygon count they have now, but who knows where this may lead???

i'm anxious to find out!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 11:59:03 AM »
You and me both.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 01:31:07 PM »
You guys are describing Occlusion Culling and Back Face Culling. These techniques have been around for a while, the latter having hardware support in most cards.

I think one of the main causes of the great graphics is that new games are taking advantage of the huge amounts of video memory new cards have. High poly models and high res textures make things look real pretty :)  I wouldn't be surprised if UT2007 requires a 256mb vid card.

joshdick

• Math Mod
  • Jackass III
    • http://www.xanga.com/joshdick13
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 01:47:15 PM »
[me]checks a calendar[/me]

[me]shrugs and moves on[/me]
:robot:

obsidian

• Jackass I
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »
Quote from: Perspective
You guys are describing Occlusion Culling and Back Face Culling. These techniques have been around for a while, the latter having hardware support in most cards.

I think one of the main causes of the great graphics is that new games are taking advantage of the huge amounts of video memory new cards have. High poly models and high res textures make things look real pretty :)  I wouldn't be surprised if UT2007 requires a 256mb vid card.

i understand that these techniques have been around for a while, but nobody has been really using them. there is a huge amount of overhead that still has to be processed for the images to appear correctly since the object still has to be completely calculated for the physics aspect, but the render time is cut in half. there is a happy medium that needs to be reached, and i really think that UT is going to be as good a bet as anyone to hit that medium first.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »
Quote from: joshdick
[me]checks a calendar[/me]

[me]shrugs and moves on[/me]

Somehow I doubt we'll have to wait until 2K7 to see it.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 05:55:08 PM »
Quote from: Perspective
I wouldn't be surprised if UT2007 requires a 256mb vid card.

the new americas army engine uses the UT04 engine but its a hybrid with alot of the new stuff from one of the early beta's of UT07 that was found to be reliable and stable. Point being, this mild modification alone bumped the minimals to 128MB and anyone below that is having a real hard time running in anything but 16bit, which is considered a hack for being able to see thru walls.

So im inclined to agree with you there.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?