Author Topic: The current games I've been playing  (Read 7514 times)

jverkoey

• Jackass III
    • http://TheJeffFiles.com/
The current games I've been playing
« on: June 14, 2005, 02:25:06 AM »
Alright, so it's almost midnight, I want to play some games but stupid people keep talking to me so I'm just going to write about the games I've got and maybe inspire some of you to get new games or try some out or something.

So anyway, alphabetically:

Age of Empires 2
Great classic game.  Absolutely fantastic.  Easiest RTS I know to set up over a LAN and just go without any hassle.  Doesn't check cd keys, it runs on slow computers, and the gameplay is awesome.  I love this game.  Campaign mode's rather pointless, though a good history lesson I suppose.  I can't say I've played through it as I keep getting bored after the first level.  I tend to play random maps a bunch with a lot of enemies and practice my skills.  Favorite map type is probably Black Forest: you basically get unlimited resources.

Civilization 3
This is also a really fun game.  It can get rather boring after a little while, but it's a good game to play every couple of months.  I really like just playing random maps on islands and building up huge technologically-advanced nations before I really even do anything at all.  The thing I love about this game is the relatively quick learning curve.  It's an easy game to pick up and figure out, and there's tons of different ways to play it too.

C&C Generals
I hate this game.

Dawn of War
This is a recent addition to my collection.  It's ok, but playing through campaign gets really repetitive, really fast.  There's a very small selection of units and such for the marines, so once you get to about the 7th or 8th level, it's just the same thing over and over again and there's not much strategy involved.  Basically as long as you just sit and defend for a while, build up resources, and then build as big a force as you can, you're unstoppable because you can just keep replenishing your guys.  I haven't tried out the skirmish mode on this yet, so I can't give a complete review.  Overall though I can't say that I'm *terribly* impressed with the game, though it is pretty fun.

Doom 3
Ah, Doom 3, what an amazing game.  I haven't beaten it yet (about halfway through).  But damn, I seriously can't play this game for more than about 2-3 hours as I just get scared shitless.  Too much nonstop suspense for my liking, and with my powerhouse computer, the graphics are insane making it that much freakier.  Overall though, this game is awesome.  The multiplayer is fun too, it's really fun to hide in shadows and jump out at people blazing your guns before they even know what hit 'em.

Empire Earth 2
This is another recent addition to my collection.  It seems to be a mix of Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, and Civilization all in one game.  It's RTS, but you can go through all the different ages, and the gameplay is similar to AoE, but with much more advanced features (waypointing and things like that).  I've only done the tutorial modes on this game so far, as the learning curve on this game is rather big (there's a TON of features).  From what I've seen though, the game's really good.  Kind of high on the system requirements for its genre, but not as bad as C&C Generals.

Freelancer
I love this game, I played it almost obsessively for a good month or two, and then I beat it.  Now it sits on my computer as a hunk of space being used because this game has NO replay value whatsoever.  Once you've beaten single player mode, there's really NO desire to continue, unless you want to spend hours freightering stuff around the universe to get money....I think that's annoying though and seeing as I had an awesome ship by the end of the game, I didn't see the point in trading it in for a freighter just to......buy my awesome ship again? whaaa?

GTA Vice City
This game doesn't need a rating.

Halflife
Ditto.

Halo
Ditto again.

Morrowind
Very fun game, though I haven't beaten it yet I still try every now and then.  I keep losing my save files though and having to restart so it has kindof lost the novelty after the 8th time of starting off.....going to the tree trunk and looting Fargoth's stuff, going northwest and getting those scrolls of icarian flight, and then just wandering around for hours.....

Myst III Exile
Fun but challenging.  I haven't beaten it yet but hope to....someday.

RA2
The beginning of C&C's downward spiral.  Overall the game is good but just too easy compared to the others.  It runs well on most systems which is a plus, but it's horrible for network play unless you have CDs which is REALLY annoying when you have 6+ people trying to play.

Renegade
This was an ok C&C FPS.....I think I almost beat it, but then I got obsessed with the online play for a while.  Online's REALLY fun, I haven't played it in years though so I have no idea what it's like anymore.

Rise of Nations
This is a fantastic game for the world domination mode, the battles get progressively harder and never gets too horrendously repetitive.

Rome: Total War
I love this game.  The massive armies are insane and really give you a great sense of power as you're commanding 1500+ soldiers on the field at once.  I've been playing the campaign mode on it, but have recently gotten rather bored of it as I've just gotten in to a state of general neutrality in the world and nobody's really attacking me anymore...so I just sit there ending my turns and micromanaging my economies for a while until I get bored and go do more interesting things.....like....umm.....sleep.

Rose online
It's an ok online game...can't say I'm a fan of it though.  It's still in beta and the translations are horrible though, so who knows, it could be good.

SimCity 3000 Unlimited
This is a great game, though I can't say I've ever gotten *really* in to the sim city series (or any sims for that matter).  It's a bit of a challenge to build up your cities from scratch, but also fun to destroy them if you're pissed off at them for not working out.

Starwars Jedi Academy
Meh, this game's alright, though it's also yet another very repetitive game in my opinion....

Starcraft
I absolutely love this game.  Not only just for the gameplay, but for the *ease* that you can play this game at on almost *any* computer.  I've yet to really find a computer that's above 200mhz that can't run this game.  It's also really fun with the still thriving Battle.net and making custom maps with their fantastic map editor.

Swat
I haven't been able to figure this game out yet.

The Sims
I just have this game on my computer because I found the installation cd lying around and figured I'd add another to my collection :rolleyes:

C&C: Tiberian Sun
This was alright....though the gameplay was a bit stretched from the normal C&C style.  It seemed like a much "darker" game in a sense and overall I wasn't terribly impressed.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
This is the original one, mind you, and I think it's really fun.  Takes a bit to get used to the waypoint thing and setting up your plans, but once you get the hang of it it's a fun game.

Warcraft III
What I don't understand is why WC3 can run *so* smooth on computers but C&C Generals, with practically the same engine runs so choppy.  Bah!  But anyway, this game's fun, I love it and have almost beaten the campaign mode on both the original and the expansion.  It's also a great deal of fun in multiplayer and is rather easy to play with multiple people and the setup time is almost moot.

Wolfenstein
Haven't played this enough to give it decent feedback...

So yah, that's my current (installed) game collection on my puter....I've still got a ton of other games lying around all over the place, maybe I'll add more quick rants about them later if I'm ever really bored again.
-Jeff Verkoeyen

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 08:48:38 AM »
I'm not going to go into that much detail, nor list all the games I have installed, but:

Halflife 2
Can't stop playing this... I'm on like my third single player game and I've logged a ton of hours in online play.

SimCity4 Deluxe
Pretty good... I've always loved the SimCity games.  I've created like 6 or 7 cities in this one so far and they've mostly worked out pretty good.  It's damn hard to keep everyone/everything happy, however.  Sometimes too hard.  You really have to seperate things and make sure all your bases are covered.  Money is a major issue as well and it's hard to find a good balance with what city sells x to whatever other city.  I end up having 2 cities selling power to each other just to have some positive cash flow.  There is so much going on that it's hard to keep up sometimes.

Generals Zero Hour
Not bad, not great.  I hate the fucking GLA and their suicide asses.  I can't get anything done because these fuckers come from every direction and blow my shit up before I can get my defenses built up.

18 Wheels of Steel: Pedal to the Metal
Yes, a trucker game.  And I fucking love it.  Although my most recent installation of the game met major problems... as soon as I tried to move anywhere, the game BSOD's my system, even with the patches installed.  :mad:

FarCry
Best game of 2004 IMO.  Excellent graphics, fun game play.  My own dislike of this game are the fucking monsters and the 3 or 4 stupid-hard points in the game.  Thank God for cheats.

Colin McRae 2.0
Fascinating game.  Fun to drive, fun to play around with the settings on the car.  Fastest loading game I've ever played with this level of detail.

GTA Vice City
The main reason I love this game so much is the ability to drive any vehicle I want.  And shoot up anything I want as well.  Oh, and the hookers.  Can't beat fucking a hooker in a dark alley and then letting her get out of the car and shooting her ass to get the money back.

Call of Duty & COD Finest Hour
The first one was superb and the multi-player is fantastic.  Finest Hour is stupid-hard and I've never even finished the single-player missions.  Again, CODFH multiplayer kicks ass.  I think this game is far and above better than Battlefield, although I think BF2 is going to kick its arse.

UT2004
Much better than its predecessor.  I still haven't finished the single player missions, but I hear the final mission is damn near impossible.  I haven't played the assault missions yet but I'm itching too.  *Note to self: get back into this game*

I guess that's about it for now.  I guess I used more detail than I said I would, but whatever.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 09:08:37 AM »
Need for Speed Underground 2
Pretty good...i reinstalled it after finishing it in December because ive been a tad bored over the last few dales and have been fantasizing about buying a crappy mid 80's Corolla hatchback.
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 09:25:15 AM »
The Longest Journey
Classic adventure game.  The graphics are a little dated (released in 1999), but the story is excellent.

Silent Hunter III
Pretty good game.  Excellent graphics and it really makes you feel like you're in a UBoat sometimes.  Fuckin hard, though.

Empire Earth II
It's Rise of Nations, but not as fun and with too many damn resources.  The AI cheated its ass off in the first game, but I haven't played it enough to figure out whether or not it does now.  My strategy of "make alliance with computer, build up huge arsenal in computer's city, declare war on computer" works pretty well.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 01:43:48 PM »
Holy shit, were do you guys get all the free time?

anyway, for me

Lumines (PSP)
Very cool puzzle game, if you liked tetris you'll love this game.

Ridge Racer (PSP)
Sweet graphics, fun gameplay, cool cars and tracks.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »
I game for maybe an hour or two a night, but I don't play the same game every night, usually.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 03:45:43 PM »
The games I listed are just some of the ones I have installed.  I usually game for about an hour a day or so, depending on my schedule, so I probably hit like 2 of those per week.  Shit, I have to add one:

Madden 05
Very good graphics, major upgrades from the previous release, but the game is very buggy in terms of being correct.  The announcers are incorrect half the time and the week to week scouting reports are always fucking wrong.. saying a player is out when he isn't or not getting a starting player correct is a constant annoyance.  The news bits are fun but very repetitive.  It's still quite addictive and I can't stop playing, but I wish they would fix some of the random shit.

pianorain

• Anti-Poster
  • Jackass III
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 06:05:17 PM »
NetHack is kicking my tail.  If you like RPG's and attention to detail, NetHack's for you.  They've thought of freakin' everything.  Plus, it's free.
[post=3832]axon[/post]: I hate it when people copy my originality :p

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 07:36:11 PM »
of the ones people have listed...
Civilizations 3: haven't played, but my brother just bought the game so it's about time I try it out

GTA Vice City: It's pretty awesome. Graphics are good but they could be a lot better for the hardware required to run it. Gameplay is awesome and ripped off from Scarface, and just fighting the cops/random strangers is fun, too. It's less a game than a religion. Haven't played the next in the GTA series, though

Halflife: Good, but somewhat boring for my tastes. I guess it was awesome 10 years ago.

Halo: Same complaint, although I played Halo 2 quite a bit since it was the only 1st person Xbox shooter available in my friend's dorm room

Starcraft: Pretty fun

Wolfenstein
I played the castle of wolfenstein demo, which ran choppily but was pretty fun. Wolfenstein 3d was fun back when i first played it

UT2004: A really fun 1st person shooter. I particularly like the seamless human-vehicle interactions

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »
I'm not going to list all the games i've got as otherwise we'll be here till xmas but what i am currently playing:
Half Life 2 - yep i am running behind schedule but now i have my crossbow and can snipe again i am happy

Evil Genius - this is fun and campy and soooo 60s

Just finished Vampire Bloodlines - prefered it to vampire masquerade.

sadly in the depths of the night if i want something relaxing as i cant sleep then i will play zoo tycoon 2 (i know sad but its relaxing and i dont need to think)

have to get back to railroad tycoon 3

want: swat4 and Oblivion (oh i soooooo want oblivion)
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 01:49:51 PM »
> Oblivion (oh i soooooo want oblivion)

I've got the trailer shown at E3 on my desktop.  I watch it every once in awhile.

Please come out sooner :(

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 09:22:44 PM »
Now playing GTA: San Andreas on the PC - and having a lot of fun with it (find it quite relaxing)

aran

• the capital of djibouti is djibouti
  • Jackass III
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 04:08:27 PM »
Rise of Nations
Best RTS in recent memory. May be better than starcraft. So much tactics and strategy involved. Amazing game.

Empire Earth 2
A shitty version of Rise of Nations. Too many resources. No strategy involved in combat whatsoever. A blind tech race.

Command and Conquer: Generals
Pretty fun game. Each nation has stupidly powerful abilities, though.

Dawn of War
Another awesome RTS. Probably my third favorite behind RoN and SC. This game is all about tactics and out-maneuvering your enemy.

Space Empires IV
Second best TBS game i've ever played. 4X space strategy at its finest. Every game is so different that it makes replayability insane.

Civilizaiton III
Fun game. It's well done and fun to play almost all the time. I might still like SMAC (Alpha Centauri) more.

UT2004
Awesome FPS. Very enjoyable multi-player. I wish i had more time to realy get good at it, though.

Call of Duty
Probably my favorite FPS ever for the PC.

Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
A classic RTS RPG. I love it.

Divine Divinity
A more interesting Diablo II. No multiplayer, unfortunately. If you liked DIablo II and are looking for a more immersive single player game, you can't miss with DD.

Dynasty Warriors V (PS2)
One of my favorite action games of all time. Massive battles between the forces of Ancient China.
this apparatus must be unearthed.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 01:32:01 AM »
A bit of Call of Duty and Halo (both on XBOX) every now and again.

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 07:15:10 PM »
Currently playing:
Still with GTA: SA - i pick it up and have a drive around and do some missions every now and again.

Swat 4 - have just started this one, played swat 3 a lot but i cant remember the tactics i used to use. Its also a bit different than other things i play as you lead a team and have to give out orders.