Author Topic: Cutting the cord  (Read 3484 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Cutting the cord
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »
I am seriously considering dropping Cable TV because we almost never watch it.  I was going to go with a Sling TV package to get some of the sports and stuff, but I'd like to be able to record the games and start watching late to skip commercials. Is there a way to do that easily? 

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Cutting the cord
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
I am seriously considering dropping Cable TV because we almost never watch it.  I was going to go with a Sling TV package to get some of the sports and stuff, but I'd like to be able to record the games and start watching late to skip commercials. Is there a way to do that easily? 

funny. I just saw my bill today. I had a great deal for two years and this month it went up to $240!!! that's a hundred dollar increase. I will call them tomorrow to see if they will take care of me. Otherwise, goodbye cable.

I have netflix and prime, and if I want to watch something on HBO I can order it for a month on prime. I might add hulu too.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
I got rid of cable TV a few months back.  With netflix streaming and DVDs we are good.  We will be adding HBO for a month in order to binge Game of Thrones.

Looking at my internet usage I went from 85-90 GB a month by myself to 132 GB with the GF (who works from home).  So well under my 1 TB limit.

At first I missed it but at this point I really don't.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
the only prblem with cutting cable is you still have to buy your internet from the cable company.  usually the bundled cost of internet+tv makes the internet pretty cheap.  You take TV out of the equation and your paying $80 just for internet
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
Yeah, but my total bill is going down so it is still worth it (IMO)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:20 AM »
the only prblem with cutting cable is you still have to buy your internet from the cable company.  usually the bundled cost of internet+tv makes the internet pretty cheap.  You take TV out of the equation and your paying $80 just for internet
The company Wow! just ran all new lines through most of my town and they have internet only plans which are really good.  I think if I drop the tv aspect I'd switch completely.  And even if the internet was 80, I'd still be saving 70/month.

Does anyone here use SlingTV?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
Never used it, however I have heard nice things from cable cutters.  Let me know if you try it.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »
See if YouTube is coming to your area. I'm waiting impatiently for them to send me the invite for where I am, which should be pretty soon here.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »
Will do Knuck.

Tgm, can you elaborate?  How would YouTube come to my area?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
YoutubeTV is a live offering from them. I just signed up for it tonight as it's been expanding into new areas lately.

https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7068923?hl=en

So far I'm actually a bit disappointed. The interface is nice and the DVR feature seems nice but I'm having a hard time getting anything over 720p and most are 480p (which could be Comcast's fault). But it's also not supported on either of my Samsung tablets and my wife's is a fairly current model so that sucks. We might see how the free trial goes but then maybe switch to Hulu Live if it's not more impressive over the month. I really like the idea but it's a bit underwhelming at the moment.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
I've never paid for cable. I pretty much only watch Netflix. I have prime but I haven't watched anything yet, no Chromecast support on their app is inconvenient.