Author Topic: beef back ribs  (Read 3676 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
beef back ribs
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
Never made them before but wanted to try. got a slab (which in size equals to about two slabs of pork ribs) and made it on the grill about the same way I make pork ribs. The result was very disappointing though: the meat was very tasty, but after about 4 hours of cooking, there was hardly any there. There was a lot of fat. Perhaps I need to look up a better recipe, or learn how to pick out nicer racks...and perhaps I will never make them again.

Waste of time and money...even though they were only $1.99/lb - but most of that weight was bones and fat.

On the plus side I made Honey mustard drumsticks which were awesome.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: beef back ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »
>Perhaps I need to look up a better recipe, or learn how to pick out nicer racks...and perhaps I will never make them again.

You need to go to an asian grocery store (Korean if possible) that has a butcher shop. Find a meaty rack and have them cut it accros the bone into slices about an inch or inch and a half thick. This is my favorite cut of beef, in Argentina it's called asado de tira. Rub with salt and slow BBQ. yummmm.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asado

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
The problem with the north american butchering is that they cut the best parts of the rib meat off of the ribs (I think it may be the sirloin and tenderloin?). So you're just left with the tougher meat around the rib and the ribs are cooked/eaten lengthwise like you did. The Argentinian way is to leave that meat attached and slice the ribs horizontally (they do this in Korea too, but they generally slice the ribs much thinner and use a sweet sauce).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »
wow, I wish mine look like that. I might give that a try - we have several pretty great asian markets around my house and I know that at least one has a butcher shop.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
>Perhaps I need to look up a better recipe, or learn how to pick out nicer racks...and perhaps I will never make them again.

You need to go to an asian grocery store (Korean if possible) that has a butcher shop. Find a meaty rack and have them cut it accros the bone into slices about an inch or inch and a half thick. This is my favorite cut of beef, in Argentina it's called asado de tira. Rub with salt and slow BBQ. yummmm.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asado

YES. Thats how i butcher my deer for ribs.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
If you go to a Korean grocer, just tell them you're looking for galbi (or kalbi). LA galbi is the one you want if you're looking for the thin slice. They will probably look at you very confused if you say asado. Just a warning though, that it will probably cost a bit more than $1.99/lb.

In Korean cooking, the "regular" cuts are usually braised while the LA galbi grilled. The marinade it usually goes with is also pretty easy and tasty.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
>They will probably look at you very confused if you say asado.

Oh yeah, definitely :) We just go in, point to the ribs and ask them to slice them into four pieces (their slabs around about 5 inches, which works out just right).

All this talk is giving me a craving... too bad the only place I've found this cut of meat is in Toronto :( 

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
If you go to a Korean grocer, just tell them you're looking for galbi (or kalbi). LA galbi is the one you want if you're looking for the thin slice. They will probably look at you very confused if you say asado. Just a warning though, that it will probably cost a bit more than $1.99/lb.

In Korean cooking, the "regular" cuts are usually braised while the LA galbi grilled. The marinade it usually goes with is also pretty easy and tasty.

thanks Jen. I will give that a shot.