Author Topic: Returning to Programming  (Read 1085 times)

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
Returning to Programming
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
I haven't even owned a computer since 2011. I'll get a lap top, though.

So far, these are the books I'm going to buy. I used to own them, but they gone

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days
C++ Primer Plus
Data Structures for Game Programmers

I still need to learn about compilers and IDEs and things I don't remember. Boreland C++ is that a thing?
I watch you...
:rad: :rad:

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Returning to Programming
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 12:08:48 AM »
My advice is to not start back into programming like it's 2011. There has got to be some newer books that work? Maybe:
C++ in One Hour a Day, Sams Teach Yourself (8th Edition)

Don't know if that's good, but at least it was published in 2017 instead of 2004. :)

As far as Borland C++, that sort of still exists... in fact I think my company sells what it has turned into: https://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder/starter/free-download

I have no idea whether that's a good choice to start with or not, though.

Ever consider doing a different language, like python or something like that?

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:20 AM »
Yeah whats the current Cpp standard? C++0x? Seems luke back when i was still using it the new standard was coming out "any year now" but it must be updated since then

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:26:53 AM »
If I was starting out now I'd probably look at Java/PHP or as a last resort, the Microsoft stack (C#).  If you're looking to get a job, those are likely to be the highest hits.

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
Over,

What's a good JAVA/PHP book and how long will it take me to learn to be employable at entry level. Same with Python. What are they typically used for

Also, with those would I have to learn the language and then APIs for whatever platform? My Windows book was like 1000 pages.

Clyde,

I looked at that book, but I think there was a review that said 21 Days was better. I'll keep browsing, though. I think I remember quite a bit of the language; the basics, anyway. 

I really liked cpp back in the day. Other languages kinda turned me off. I also kinda wanna finish my game. I was hiking the other day and think i figured out how to fix the bug I had 12 years ago
I watch you...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
I guess I'm 'Over' now.  I can't really point you to a good book.  There are so many resources online that I wouldn't bother with a book that is very likely outdated as soon as it hits the shelf.  Start with tutorials and work up from there.  There are TONS of sites dedicated to learning the languages now.

I can't speak to how long it would take you to be 'employable'.  How fast do you learn?  What can you carry over from other languages?  Building webapps is different from desktop programming.  There are no platform specific APIs.  You learn the language, setup an environment, and go.  Vagrant is your friend.  You can download and run a VM locally that can be setup to run almost anything you want in terms of OS and technology installed on it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »
Honestly it doesn't matter that much which book or tutorial you use. You're going to remember how to program and use what you know to solve problems, which is how you get back into the swing of things. If you learn the latest then you'll have a little bit of a leg up if you actually start working and doing it for real (assuming you end up in a job where you need to write C++). And if you're using a 15 year old book it might be harder to get tools.

But again, those are fairly minor things so you're not going to ruin anything by sticking to the really old stuff.

And JaWiB, we're on C++14 now!

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »
If you're going to learn C++, make sure your learning at least C++11 spec, if not C++14. A lot has changed since the last time you used it, especially with memory handling. Look at std::shared_ptr and std::unique_ptr along with r-value references (ie., MyObject&& foo) and move semantics. The language now has explicit notions of memory ownership which really improve the usage and make memory leaks and invalid dereferences less likely.

But to be honest, C++ is a systems language used where performance matters (games, operating systems, database engines, etc...). If you want to work in one of those areas, you'll probably need some formal training. I don't think working through a book or tutorials will be enough to land you an interview.

Web and app development seems to be more accessible. My brother-in-law did a 3 month crash course on web development (I think it was Ruby on Rails or something) and managed to transition from a mechanical engineer background to a web developer position. He had no previous programming experience, but is a "techy" kind of guy with a lot of motivation. The technology he uses has completely changed (as it does every 6 months in that industry) but he's been able to keep up with it and be successful, mostly from self learning.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »
+1 on everything Perspective said.

tgm

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
What do you actually want to do with it?

Java would be good for enterprise gigs, but honestly I think Kotlin is going to be the next thing in the JVM world since IntelliJ made it and Android has adopted it.
Go is big with devops and distributed programming stuff
Elixir if you want to be esoteric, but I think it's got potential
Python for general purpose stuff, but mainly the jobs will be web stuff using Django, or data analysis
JavaScript rules the world right now with Node and web site stuff

You can do games in the browser with JavaScript now days with things like phaser.io

With web assembly coming around the corner that's going to open up a lot of languages for web coding soon.

And that's just a small subset of stuff. Not even getting into things like Clojure, Rust, R, or Haskell.

And then there's the infrastructure side with Docker, Kubernetes, Unikernels, AWS, GCP, blah blah blah, the list goes on.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »
I don't know how anything works anymore. I need to find a skill that I can use to move between industries so if i get blacklisted again i have options
I watch you...

tgm

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 01:01:27 AM »
JavaScript.
This signature intentionally left blank.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 02:01:52 AM »
I use python for data analysis at my job and it seems pretty prevalent among people who aren't primarily software developers but need to do some scripting as part of the job.

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
Thinking of going to visit an advisor at my old university and telling them what I want to do and just take individual classes. I don't want to get another degree.

I also want to make games.
I watch you...

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
Hey Jawib and Perception, you two have PhDs, right? Quit your jobs and come work for me and help me make my game. I can't pay you in $$, but I can pay you in equity. Plus it'll be a good opportunity to get some experience.

PM me your resumes.
I watch you...