Author Topic: I think real forums are coming back into style because they're retro  (Read 2019 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Thanks guys!

Yup get one.  They have truly been everything they are reputed to be and more to us.  I am sure there are dealer to dealer variances, however the brand seems solid to me.  Love to see Sam in an NX or RX.

Ever consider one Jake?  Surprised Kermi isn't driving one.

Nope, I only buy American :)
Define 'American'.  The cars are made here (most of them), using american labor.  You just don't like overseas engineering (that has proven to be better in a lot of cases when it comes to cars)?  No offense, but I think that's a somewhat ignorant statement.  I had 4 'American' cars prior to switching to Honda and they all had issues that were well beyond anything my Hondas have seen.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Thanks guys!

Yup get one.  They have truly been everything they are reputed to be and more to us.  I am sure there are dealer to dealer variances, however the brand seems solid to me.  Love to see Sam in an NX or RX.

Define 'American'.  The cars are made here (most of them), using american labor.  You just don't like overseas engineering (that has proven to be better in a lot of cases when it comes to cars)?  No offense, but I think that's a somewhat ignorant statement.  I had 4 'American' cars prior to switching to Honda and they all had issues that were well beyond anything my Hondas have seen.

probably is ignorant, but it is one of those things I "inherited" - haha. But I don't mind it. For the past 12-15 years all I've owned is Chrysler (which ironically is owned by Fiat :D) and I like the brand. Never had any major issues. And you're right, "American" vehicles made in the 90's and until, probably, 2005/6 had a lot to be desired. But I think the big four have heard the call back then and turned around 180 degrees.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Also, I have friends that would only buy hondas and toyotas and they also had major issues with their cars. I can immediately recollect two different Honda odysseys blowing up trannys.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A man on the Internet.
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Good man. Nixon's pro-war and pro-family.
    • micahj.com
Also, I have friends that would only buy hondas and toyotas and they also had major issues with their cars. I can immediately recollect two different Honda odysseys blowing up trannys.

don't scare me like that, we still owe like 4 years of payments on our Odyssey which is already pushing 80k miles.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
Thanks guys!

probably is ignorant, but it is one of those things I "inherited" - haha. But I don't mind it. For the past 12-15 years all I've owned is Chrysler (which ironically is owned by Fiat :D) and I like the brand. Never had any major issues. And you're right, "American" vehicles made in the 90's and until, probably, 2005/6 had a lot to be desired. But I think the big four have heard the call back then and turned around 180 degrees.
I'm not saying Hondas and Toyotas never have issues.  That would be silly.  And I will agree that the 'big four' have upped their game.  I also think that wasn't an option.  Their sales were in the shitter and they had no choice.  There was a podcast - https://www.thisamericanlife.org/561/nummi-2015 that covered a GE plant that tried to implement some of the procedures that Toyota used in Japan and had a hard time doing it because of internal politics and other BS.  They basically had to strip down and reboot the entire operation to make it happen.  It's amazing what transparency and trust will do to a manufacturing process.  It is an interesting story that highlights the differences in culture that shows how we, as Americans, get in our own damn way too often.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge

don't scare me like that, we still owe like 4 years of payments on our Odyssey which is already pushing 80k miles.

point is, it can happen to any car. But for the most part, I think these days most cars with proper maintenance should get you to between 150k-200K miles without major issues.

I think that luxury german cars (BMW, AUDI, MERCEDES, PORSCHE) are the least reliable and I would not put them in the above category.   The only way I would get one of those is on a short term lease so that I can get a new one before the issues start.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
I would agree with Jake in that the BMW, AUDI, MERCEDES, PORSCHE, and VW are typically durability nightmares, have unbelievable servicing demands, and constantly need repair cash infusions.  I only buy American seems silly in that how many other tens of thousands of your income do you spend on non-automotive purchases from other countries?  If you want to stick to that, do so, but do it without most building materials, electronic entertainment options, appliances, most clothing, etc.   How about purchase the best product for your needs, wants, and funds and let those who did not receive your cash learn to be competitive.  The US manufacturers do have solid products in many cases.  Their business model sucks as do their dealerships in my experience.

That said if I thought there was an actual US competitor to Lexus in their overall offerings, I would probably own it.  There isn't.

BTW Fiat hates the Chrysler name and long ago made it clear that removing both Dodge and Chrysler brands will happen as soon as it can be done.

I find this a nice place to start to get a feel for overall quality in a model and brand.  It is basic and only indicates repair issues but if you are looking at a few models that you are having trouble deciding between, well check it out.

Everybody check out their make, model, and year and show your score!!  Do it!

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
2004 VW Golf - 27.7
2015 Lexus LS460 - 100

micah

• A man on the Internet.
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Good man. Nixon's pro-war and pro-family.
    • micahj.com
Hyundai Sonata - 12.4  :(  (for my 2013 model, prior to 2011 their scores were in the mid 40's ) this is a little disappointing, I really love my Sonata
Honda Odyssey - 45.5.  Seems better.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
Honda Civic (it doesn't get more specific than that):65.6 (but higher for my model year)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
only buy American seems silly in that how many other tens of thousands of your income do you spend on non-automotive purchases from other countries?

I go out of my way to buy American made products whenever I can.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
My vehicle year and model is not on there - 2017 RAM 1500 - but average score for a RAM is 70.6
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Dodge_Ram.html

Jake

• Jackass In Charge

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
That said if I thought there was an actual US competitor to Lexus in their overall offerings, I would probably own it.  There isn't.

How about Cadillac or Lincoln?

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
My wife has a 2013 Wrangler - 68.7

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Jeep_Wrangler.html

Huh, id heard jeeps are incredibly unreliable. I have a new outback and this site seems to rate subaru extremely low, which also suprises me.