Author Topic: I think real forums are coming back into style because they're retro  (Read 2535 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
That said if I thought there was an actual US competitor to Lexus in their overall offerings, I would probably own it.  There isn't.

How about Cadillac or Lincoln?

Neither warranty their used product very well nor provide lifetime service drop off.   Further the repair costs on Cadillac are high and both of our local dealership options are corrupt.  Lincoln has better repair costs and we did look into them but the overall package, service set, and ride was a good solid step down from our vehicle.  We really value the overall picture Lexus provides.  Quality, amazing steering, quiet cabin, fit and finish, design, after purchase care and support, years and years of top notch dealership support, a true bumper to bumper that covers us until almost 2026.  No other brand even comes close.  This also seems to go beyond their top tier models.  NX, GX(100), RX(~80), LX(100), ES (~82) are all in my experience (not long term except ES) amazing models with long histories of having it together.

I think it should be noted that the Lexus CT and GS models are crap and should be avoided.  They don't feel, drive, or have very Lexusy reps.  We tried both and no thanks.  The CT is a particular POS.

Up front the Lexus will likely cost more, but not nearly as much as you would for a Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, etc.  For the extra cash you get Toyota pricing for service and repair work and no longer have to fool with a ton of "just owning a car costs" for many many years.  The math works for us because we own our cars for 10 plus years and into the 180 to 250K mile range.  Some folks need to change automobiles just to have something different.  We do not.  Actually leaving the previous LS was tough.  I still think maybe I should have kept it another 100K.  If it weren't for the loss of the Lexus V8 option I would likely have done just that.

Jake check out a used Lexus LX sometime if you eve need a truck with a top.  Full frame nice V8 and designed for heavy off road terrain as much as it is for suburbia. 

Ben I could see you and Sam totally digging the NX, UX ? (new no data), or RX.

Our next vehicle will most likely be an NX for Laura in the next year or so.

Thoughts?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
2005 Volkswagen Jetta - 0.0
2015 Mazda5 - Insufficient Data (overall average 34.2)

Gulp!

Overall the Jetta hasn't been too bad. Several medium-sized repairs over the 185k miles we've driven it but that's it. The Mazda hasn't had any issues.

In sum, I'd say real forums are definitely back in style.

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
I gave my car away in 2006. Can't imagine owning one again. Maybe a van so I also have a house
I watch you...
:rad: :rad:

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
My wife has a 2013 Wrangler - 68.7

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Jeep_Wrangler.html

Huh, id heard jeeps are incredibly unreliable. I have a new outback and this site seems to rate subaru extremely low, which also suprises me.

Found an old thread about a Jeep a once owned. I think I took it to about 200K miles without any issues. It was an awesome vehicle. But looking back mph in cars sure has improved. My V8 5.7 Ram gets the same mileage now :o
People often bitch about American cars and how shitty they are - I, for one, am very please with my work vehicle: a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee v6. I am about 50 miles away from hitting 140K! I got the car, In May of 2009 with just over 40K on it, and since then the only things I needed to do with it are brakes (twice), tires (twice), waterpump, and soldering some cables in the boot of the driver's side door. As it ages it gets better on consumption as well - and I have record from my fleet card to prove it. When I got it it averaged around 17MPG, now I am at just over 20! Yes, I do a bit more highway driving these days, but I still think this is an amazing change. Similar thing happened when I owned a Hyundai Elantra way back when.

So, how many miles are on your vehicles?

Also, my wife's 2013 Wrangler (only 45K miles) is doing well and has zero issues so far.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Here is my wife's Jeep. We keep making modifications. Makes gift ideas very easy :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgwpp13lqrF/
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
Yeah I don't mod the Lexus much, but that winch might be the thing... Obes outta do that too.  Rad.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
@Knuck, we looked at the RX before we bought the CRV.  Even used it was more up front than the CRV new and didn't have the cargo space of the CRV.  Plus the one we drove didn't overly impress me.  Now... I can say that your old Lexus that I drove was incredible.  That was live driving on butter.  So smooth and easy.  I think we'll have the CRV for a while and I'm obviously keeping my car for a long time.  So I will see what's happening in maybe another 8-10 years.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
> So I will see what's happening in maybe another 8-10 years.

So this question has been on my mind lately. Both of my vehicles are 5 years old right now. If I wanted to sell/trade them I feel like now is the best trade-off between resale value and life of car (+ cost of maintenance). On one hand I could upgrade every 5 years or so, sink +10K into it and have a newish car all the time. On the other hand I can buy new at ~30K and drive it till it dies (~15 years) plus pay to maintain it. Seems like both strategies work out to roughly the same cost in the end.

What do all of you guys do? Upgrade frequently or drive it till it dies?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
What do all of you guys do? Upgrade frequently or drive it till it dies?

I upgrade frequently: about every two years for the past 8 years. My last vehicle didn't even last that long, I had it for about 20 months. I justify it by putting on so many miles on my cars but I also don't like to drive the same car for too long.  The Durango I had for 20 months I put on something like 70K miles on it - it was paid off, and I figured if I keep it longer I will not get much money for it later. So I traded it in. The plan is to keep the current vehicle for longer than two years - hopefully much longer than that. But I already have 37K miles on it (I got it 15 months ago) and the new generation RAM 1500 looks super sweet (Knuck, you should check it out). I hope I can resist the temptation to trade it in next year :p

My wife is on her 4th car as well in the past 10 years - she had an X5, then a Magnum, then a 200, and now the Jeep. She hated swapping cars like that, and the Jeep is in her name only so that I can't get any ideas of upgrading it for her :D she wants to keep the jeep forever. Like knuck on the lexus, we got Chrysler's lifetime warranty for the jeep. Did not have to use it yet, so I don't know how well it works.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
@perspective, my ideal is to keep them long enough to not have a car payment for a while.  As I get older, I am trying to do shorter and shorter financing options (or pay them down faster).  But to your point, I have tried to do the math a few different ways (particularly when I considered leasing) and honestly I don't know that there is a 'good' way to do it.  I will say it was nice to not have a car payment on one of our cars for the past 3 years and I didn't have much maintenance in that window.  Our CRV is a 2011 with ~70K miles on it that I hope to have around when my kids start driving in 5 years.  I hope to keep my new car for at least 8 years or more.

I read your question again and wanted to clarify my history:

Car 1: inherited from parents and drove it to death at 180K miles (VW Rabbit)
Car 2: bought used, traded in when the tranny started to go 100K miles later (Pontiac Grand Am)
Car 3: bought used, traded in when something started to go 100K miles later (Oldsmobile Alero)
Car 4: wife bought new, I totaled it in a minor accident at 115K miles (Saturn Ion)
Car 5: bought new, traded in for car 9 at 119K miles (Honda Fit)
Car 6: leased new, turned in at end of lease (Toyota Rav 4)
Car 7: bought used, was a lemon, took dealership to arbitration, won (Nissan Pathfinder)
Car 8: leased new, decided to buy out at end of lease (Honda CRV)
Car 9: bought new (Honda Civic)

I think that's it?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:13:14 PM by ober »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
As I get older, I am trying to do shorter and shorter financing options (or pay them down faster)

That! only if there is 0% financing special would I not try to pay for it quicker. Other wise, if you have the means, you should try to pay faster and save your money.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Yeah, so far we've bought all of our cars outright. If I don't have the cash in hand I don't want to commit to payments.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Yeah, so far we've bought all of our cars outright. If I don't have the cash in hand I don't want to commit to payments.

even better!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
Too long of a history...made payments on all but one with the exception of a lease.

Plymouth Volare
Chevrolet Celebrity
Pontiac 6000
Buick LeSebre T-Type
Pontiac Bonneville SSE
Ford Probe GT
Jeep Grand Cheokee
Oldsmobile Touring Sedan
Oldsmobile Aurora
Ford Windstar
Lexus ES330
VW Golf TDI
Lexus LS 430
Lexus LS 460 FSport

The most recent LS was paid in full.  We hope to do the same on her Lexus in a year or so.  Not having a car payment rocks.

FYI the Lexus used car warranty is 6 years from original purchase and unlimited mileage.  The salesman said that high mileage customers really dig it.  It can be extended in time for up to another five years. 

https://www.lexus.com/lcertified/certification-warranty

This is always amusing... https://www.lexus.com/lcertified/compare
Check it out and see where other brands are.