Author Topic: Chromecast v Firestick  (Read 217 times)

ethic

• Flat Earther
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
Chromecast v Firestick
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »
Only these two

From what I can tell, the chromecast can't play Amazon, but the firestick can play YouTube
I watch you...
:rad: :rad:

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Chromecast v Firestick
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
I've been using the chromecast for years but apparently don't use it right...because it doesn't seem like it's comparable to what the firestick (which I also have) dose.
The firestick is more like a roku.  It turns your tv into a smart tv (and if you have a smart tv, its give a better interface probably).   The chromecast is more line a wireless receiver that you can stream stuff too from your phone (or google assistant.)  Or am I missing something about chromecast? 

We use both on the same TV.  The firestick to have a GUI for netflix and to watch amazon prime shows... and the chromecast so we can say to our google home "Ok Google, play Karate Kid from YouTube on Living Room TV," "play my little pony from netflix on living room," and "Show my photos taken in Westfield Mass on living room" OR -- from my computer downstairs with plex, I can start a movie in my chrome browser and "cast" it to the living room TV so the kids can watch downloaded movies upstairs while I work on my computer.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
Apparently Google and Amazon have come to an agreement and the firestick will play youtube and chromecast will support prime.

I have both and find the firestick to be better.

micah

• Jackass In Charge
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
Apparently Google and Amazon have come to an agreement and the firestick will play youtube and chromecast will support prime.

Will my echo dot let me finally play my premium google music streaming music?  Because, well that would be awesome.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 11:03:41 AM »
Seems like Roku seems to do all of this.  Then again we've only bought TCL tvs lately which has the Roku built in.

Mike

• Ass Wipe
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
I don't have the Firestick and only have the Chromecast.  At work we use the chromecast a lot to screenshare or present.  At home, I really only used it to watch GoT.  For Netflix and Amazon the TV has a built-in player for it so we use that.  Before this TV we used the apps from the Bluray player.  So, my home Chromecast usage has gone way down over the years.

micah

• Jackass In Charge
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
yeah, my girlfriend has a Rokus and it kinda does just about everything (except stream from a device to the TV which is the only thing I do with my chromecast)

So Mike, when you say you watch GoT on chromecast, how are you interfacing with the chromecast to play it?  Am I wrong in thinking it has zero graphical user interface on your TV screen?   I basically just think of mine as a bluetooth input for sending google content to my tv (since google home assistant doesn't use bluetooth).  I just "cast" things from my phone or PC (or Goggle Home / Google Dot).

I feel like I'm confused and maybe have been using it wrong for the last 3 years.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
Depends on the device/Roku.  The Roku TVs can share from most devices.  We have TCL tvs all over the floor at work and that's what we use for presentations.

Mike

• Ass Wipe
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »
When watching GoT I used the HBO Now app on my phone and then used the cast option to send it to the TV.  At that point my phone is basically just a remote control.

The chromecast doesn't have any interface itself.  It is a receiver and you use other devices to control it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
I have a firestick and like it. I wouldn't know what to do with chromecast.