Author Topic: Covid-19 mental health check-in  (Read 1559 times)

Mike

• Ass Wipe
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Covid-19 mental health check-in
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
Work sent some updates that they would normally present at the end-of-year all-staff meeting and one of them was budget/fiscal.

So our COO/CFO has been banging the recession drum for a few years and made sure we were prepared for it.  We have about a 6-month fund balance that should help cushion most of it.  The real big question is how much is the state going to cut the per student funding.  But, based on their estimates and plans to increase the number of students we serve we are looking at a 0.5% decrease in revenue.

Our superintendent and the COO both reiterated that lay-offs and furloughs were the last resort.  We're gonna follow the same basic game plan as the 2008/9 recession where they didn't need to do that.

So, looking at a stable job next year and hopefully the year after.  Year 3 is where things get fuzzy depending on the state's budget.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:43 AM »
Jen, your job sounds like constant pressure.  I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel or you consider looking elsewhere at some point in the future if that's not the case.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »
Jen, your job sounds like constant pressure.  I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel or you consider looking elsewhere at some point in the future if that's not the case.
The current state of healthcare, I'm afraid. All my friends in our current field are working very long hours and are under a lot of stress being the bleeding edge of COVID response. There's a silent understanding that while the amount of work and availability might not be permanent change, the level of response in relation to COVID is going to be around for a very very long time.

And I did look elsewhere and used that as a counter in the beginning of the year. (Ultimately, I had little hope that that position would have been lower stress though)
definitely bas

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
Well I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope it does improve in some way.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
Guys, I really thought I had a stressful Friday.

But I had an even more stressful Tuesday. Two bombshell issues arose related to CoV-2 testing. Both things could have theoretically been avoided and tangentially my own fault but required an extra level of checking that I just simply couldn't accomplish going live with these projects all right after each other. Everything is fixed now but this really just piled on a lot of stress.
definitely bas

Mike

• Ass Wipe
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jen.  I hope you can get a chance to destress soon.  Just remember that mistakes while moving fast and stress are perfectly normal and should be expected.  IMO, it doesn't reflect on you or your professionalism.

And if it makes you feel better, we weren't stressed and we totally overlooked an issue during the entire 18 months of development and several months of cutover planning.  So, please give yourself some grace.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »
Yup.  Mistakes happen unless you have a massive team around you that is able to bring different perspectives and ask ALL the right questions.